Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Green Randal


Justin Spurlock, Adam Parker and I filmed a fight sequence for Go Sukashi: Episode 3 today. It was the first time we've had a weapons duel in this series and we did not fully predict how tricky this was going to be while wearing vision restricting helmets. Adam and I can generally only make out the general location and movement of the person directly in front of us when we are in our full costumes. This usually works out reasonably when we are doing hand to hand combat, but weapons seem to just become invisible as they spend most of their time swinging around in our periferal vision (and neither of us have periferal vision in these suits.) Add the factor of my lenses fogging up with every breath and you have a situation that just shouldn't work. As Adam would swing his staff at me and I stepped in to block it with an unprotected forearm or (when I was lucky) a sword, it was literally guesswork. I didn't know where the weapon was, so I'd just put my arm in the place I remembered it being when we rehearsed.

What's crazy about all this is that it worked really well. Sequences of moves that Adam and I were sure were going to end up looking like two blind men flailing around trepedatiously on the screen somehow ended up being some of our most interesting moments and would only take a few takes to get them looking great.

I'm really glad that this show has such a low percentage of actual fight choreography in its action sequences. I am pretty sure someone would get hurt or something would get broken if that were not the case.

That's it for now. I may have some bigger news later this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment